Fields of Research of the Chair of International Management
Return Policies of Multinational Online Retailers
Dr. Jana Gäthke is awarded a Young Academy scholarship by the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities for her research project “Return policies of multinational online retailers”.
Global e‑tailers face the challenge to find a strategy that guarantees a successful product return handling across countries. This research examines how product return policy restrictiveness and a customer-oriented institutional environment affect Western vs. Eastern online retail customer behaviors. Drawing on the concept of self-construal, it is examined how product return policy restrictiveness and a customer-oriented institutional environment affect Western vs. Eastern customer behaviors (product returns and repurchase). Consumer data from the U.S. and China shows that restrictive return policies decrease product returns in Western (not in Eastern) countries and decrease repurchases in both countries. For the institutional environment, there is a mirror-inverted pattern: It increases product returns in Eastern (not in Western) countries but increases repurchase in Western (not in Eastern) countries. This research increases the understanding of product returns in different cultural environments and offers valuable insights for a global product return management.
Management of Product-Harm Crises
and Service Failure Situations
Due to rising complexity of products and stricter product liability acts, the number of product recalls is rising. Moreover, customer expectations are rising which leads to the challenge how to handle customer complaints effectively. No company is fail-safe, but for customer evaluations it is crucial how companies handle such crisis situations. Together with international co-authors, we contribute to service recovery research as well as product recall research by conducting experimental research projects to examine the effectiveness of different customer recovery tactics.
Research Cooperations of the Chair of International Management
- Professor Helen Chun, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York (USA)
- Dr. Dahlia El-Manstrly, University of Edinburgh (UK)
- Professor Yany Grégoire, HEC Montréal (Canada)
- Dr. Sebastian Koch, Universität Augsburg (Germany)
- Professor Nicole Koschate-Fischer, Universität Nürnberg (Germany)
- Dr. Amin Nazifi, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow (UK)
- Professor Chiara Orsingher, University of Bolgogna (Italy)
- Professor Cristiane Pizzutti, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre (Brazil)
- Professor Holger Roschk, Alpen Adria Universität Klagenfurt (Austria)
- Professor Yvonne Stedham, University of Reno, Nevada (USA)